Tuesday, November 18, 2008

paper Christmas ornaments

One of our family traditions is making Christmas ornaments to give to our friends!  They last longer than cookies and are just as fun to make!

Here is a simple project with stunning results...

I found some great paper ornaments at Paper Source for $1 each!  They come in a few different styles and shapes.

I started by putting a sheet of newsprint (tracing paper would work well too) over one facet of the ornament, and with a crayon, I rubbed over one side of the ornament to make a template.  That is the trickiest part.  If you have trouble holding the paper still, stick it on with double-sided tape so you can get an accurate template to work with.

Now here is the fun, creative part... trace the template on paper, cut out, and glue to the ornament. 

Paper Source has a delicious assortment of papers!  High quality wrapping paper would work.  Fabric would be fabulous!  I want to do one with a map of Chicago... maybe the train map!  Photos would work.  If you have a stack of kids artwork, cut it apart (if your kids are old enough, have them help).  This is a good way to display some of it and have a special memento every year.  Vintage text, prints and books make great coverings!

I used a book, Curious George Rides a Bike, to cover some ornaments.  I got the book at a thrift store for twenty-five cents.  It was old and didn't last too long as a book (with the help of Alli and Ruby), but I recycled what was left of it!  I traced the template over some of my favorite pictures and text.  I love how the black and red print on weathered, vintage paper pairs so well with Christmas paper!  Festive and cute!


I finished some ornaments with ribbon trim on the edges.  I gold-leafed the edges of another.  Tiny ric-rac would be a sweet way to finish them.  Oh, the possibilities!

If you like to throw fantastic holiday dinner parties, these would make amazing place cards and double as a party favor (for $1, you can't beat that!)  On one side put your guest's name or initials.  How fun to take home a special ornament as a keepsake from a dinner with friends!

I have already covered the half-dozen that I bought last week... and I am ready for more!

How are you going to decorate your ornaments?!  Please share!

2 comments:

Kris Tina said...

These are awesome. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

they look Amazing!!! they look very expencive! merry christmas!
Eddie
www.eddieross.com