Wednesday, March 28, 2012
A few months back, my sister-in-law found a large (about 4x6') framed canvas that her neighbor was throwing out. She knows I like trash... so she grabbed it for me. The painting was hideous and very textural (lumpy). I didn't take a before picture... you might have gagged. I tried to scrape off the thick paint, but quickly realized it wasn't worth it!
I took off the mauve frame and spray painted it a blackish-pewter color. I stripped the old canvas from the stretcher. Andy helped me stretch a fresh new piece of canvas onto the stretcher bars. That was a workout. (Seriously, I was sweating.) Eventually, the canvas was stretched tight enough to play like a drum... or at least tight enough so it wouldn't sag while painting.
I primed the canvas with gesso. I painted it with acrylic paint. I used a stencil to make this chevron pattern.
To make the stencil, I folded a 12x12 paper in half and cut two diagonal lines... so when I opened the paper, there was a chevron.
I drew light guidelines with a pencil (to keep everything straight), then traced my stencil over and over until the canvas was filled.
The painting is now on top of our entertainment center.
I can easily pull it down when I need a yellow chevron backdrop.
This is Ruby's stink face. Don't upset her.