Tuesday, August 31, 2010

the table

We got this table at the beginning of the summer.  I loved the size of the table and the clean lines and solid form.  It was $60... this was a Craigslist find.  It came with scratches and watermarks on the top.  So we stripped off the old finish, sanded it down, stained and finished it with polyurethane.  The legs were in great condition, so we left them alone.
Our table just came into the house Sunday night.

And now Andy has a spot in the garage for his car.

the ottoman empire

I bought an ottoman at a yard sale.  It was clean and well-built.  It was a nice size.  And it was $10.

But the fabric was UGLY!

And then I found this diamond checked upholstery fabric at another yard sale.  It was new, unused.   I love the bold graphic pattern!  Best of all, it was $3 for about 2+ yards.

And so I started another project.  I took the ottoman apart stitch-by-stitch.  And I used the old pieces as a pattern to reupholster the ottoman.  I recovered the cushion.  I used white muslin on the bottom of the cushion because I didn't have enough of the diamond-pattern fabric.  There is velcro connecting the cushion to the ottoman base.  I reused the velcro and the zipper from the original ottoman covering.  When I finished, I had an 18 inch square of leftover fabric.

For $13 and about three hours, I am pretty pleased with the finished product.