Thursday, January 26, 2012

Organizing winter gear


I should have taken a before picture of the closet, but it would have been embarrassing.  We have a small closet in our entry.  It came with a basic wire shelf... we can set stuff on top and hang hangers.

I have installed hooks on the inside of the closet where the kids can reach... that helped a bit.  But the winter stuff was a problem.  I kept it in a bin on the shelf... which was way too high for the kids to reach.  I am all about independence... if you want to play outside, go get your mittens.  But the kids couldn't get their winter gear out or put it away... so there was always a mess.  There is no room on the floor of the closet (that is where boots and a skinny bin for umbrellas are).  The only place left was the door.  The closet door is extra skinny, and I needed lots of little pockets for the little mittens, legwarmers, etc. 
And so I made my own customer closet organizer with scraps.  There are some bigger pockets and some small ones.  I put the grown-up winter gear at the top and the kids' stuff within their reach.  The organizer is attached to the door with velcro Command Strips.  I actually stapled the strips to the fabric of the organizer so I wouldn't have to sew through the adhesive and get my needle all gummy.

This organizer has been in the closet for almost a month now, and I am happy to report the closet has stayed pretty clean.  The kids can get their stuff out and put it away.  And even though the organizer is made from scraps and not all matchy, I think it is fairly cute.

Success all around.

No comments: