Thursday, June 4, 2009

From a shirt to a dress...


I joined a little blog sewing group and made this dress for Ruby!  The dress started out as a men's shirt.  I would have used one of Andy's shirts , but they were all washed and ironed, hanging neatly in the closet... so I went to the thrift store and picked out a shirt.  Orange gingham.  It was big, so there was plenty of leftover fabric to make the headband-hat-thingy.  Also, instead of the elastic waistband, I made a tie waistband.  Not only does it tie, but it also looks like a tie (necktie)... but it is made of washable cotton.  I carefully removed the shirt pocket and sewed it onto the skirt of the dress.  Ruby likes to fill it with treasures.  Ruby loves this dress and calls it her "sundress." 
Click here for the tutorial!

This is the second time I have tried to get good pictures of her in the dress.  She is jsut always on the move!  Next time!



2 comments:

stephasauri said...

I love the idea! Ruby looks so sweet and innocent in that adorable dress! I busted out a cute dress shirt of Mike's that has a stain on the arm that I'm planning to make into a cute dress using those instructions. I love the idea of a sewing blog group!

I have been really excited about sewing lately. You'll have to see the latest dress I made Eliza from a duvet cover. It's wild. I'll blog about it as soon as I get a good picture.

presserfoot said...

it looks awesome. i am so glad that you are joining our group. i am excited to see your skirt too.