Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Designer Outfit, Thrifty Price

A few years ago, I splurged on a sampling of fine dark chocolates from around the world (hooray for Costco!).  Ever since then, I do not like Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Hershey bars, etc.  Halloween candy doesn't really tempt me.  I want the good stuff.
When we lived in Chicago, there was a tiny thrift shop across the street that was a gold mine for designer duds.  I quickly developed a taste for designer jeans.  Ever since then, I do not like Old Navy jeans.  Not even tempting.  I want the jeans that fit perfectly, last for years, keep their shape, and have well-crafted details.  Luckily for my husband, I am cheap... too cheap to shop at Nordstrom.  I get my designer fix at the thrift shop or deeply-discounted stores.
The jacket is from my Chicago thrift store.  I got it at a fill-a-bag-for-$5 sale.  ($5 divided by a paper bag stuffed with clothes= super duper cheap.)  I love the bright, bold pattern, the large squarish buttons and the purple piping on the inside seams.  The necklace is from an estate auction: $3.  The brown t-shirt was from MJR sales.  It was 75% off of $5... it had a tiny hole that I had to stitch shut.  My jeans are Rock & Republic from my Chicago thrift store: $6.  My strappy gold wedge sandals are from a thrift shop in Columbus: $3.  They were almost brand new.  They are quite comfortable and darling.

This outfit cost less than $20.


As a bonus, the chair was $1 at an estate auction.  That's right.
And I made the pillows.

If you are thrifty with your fashion, there is a nifty contest here.

1 comment:

Beth said...

you're inspiring. i've been thinking recently about how i should start looking at second hand stores again. the work clothes are getting worn out, but nice stuff that looks good is so pricey! although, Nordstrom Rack is definately one of my favorites, i still can't get jeans for $5!