Tuesday, August 31, 2010

the ottoman empire


I bought an ottoman at a yard sale.  It was clean and well-built.  It was a nice size.  And it was $10.

But the fabric was UGLY!

And then I found this diamond checked upholstery fabric at another yard sale.  It was new, unused.   I love the bold graphic pattern!  Best of all, it was $3 for about 2+ yards.

And so I started another project.  I took the ottoman apart stitch-by-stitch.  And I used the old pieces as a pattern to reupholster the ottoman.  I recovered the cushion.  I used white muslin on the bottom of the cushion because I didn't have enough of the diamond-pattern fabric.  There is velcro connecting the cushion to the ottoman base.  I reused the velcro and the zipper from the original ottoman covering.  When I finished, I had an 18 inch square of leftover fabric.

For $13 and about three hours, I am pretty pleased with the finished product.

No comments: