Friday, March 5, 2010

the finished horse
















I bought this bisque-fired ceramic carousel horse at a thrift store in Chicago. It started out shabby... with lots of potential.

I covered the entire horse with gesso (acrylic primer) and then painted in the details with acrylic paints. I had hoped to finish it for Christmas, but let's face it, we just moved and things have been a bit busy here... so it was more of a Presidents Day gift.

The girls love watching me paint, but more than that, they like to help. I gave them each a small portion of the saddle to paint however they wanted.

I like how it turned out. Alli and Ruby and June love this horse. I often find stuffed animals on its back. Maybe the next project will be making a more sturdy base for it.

2 comments:

Beth said...

oh wow! i was actually just last week wondering what ever came of the horse! so glad to see the finished product!!!

Darcie said...

Karyn, this was such a fun post for me to see. My grandma was very artistic (darn it, I didn't get any of that talent), and she loved to remake old carousel horses. She picked the hobby up in her last few years of life, and I think redid about 5 horses. She would comb garage sales for the old-bouncy horses that kids play on, and then turn them into something beautiful. She would have loved to see your horse... you could've exchanged tips. :)