Sunday, December 21, 2008

variation on a theme... hats


I made myself a hat.  A floppy, funky sort of beanie.

I got a wool sweater at my favorite thrift store.  I washed it in hot water and dried it in the dryer... against the recommendations of the tag... and I did it on purpose! 
Washing and drying the wool sweater bonded the fibers together, kind of like fleece or felt.  Once the sweater was shrunken and felted (nappy), I cut it apart.  I made six panels and sewed the pieces together.  I topped it off with a big button.  It still needed a little something... so I cut a flower out of a red wool sweater that I had washed and dried, stitched around the edge, sewed a button in the middle, and attached it to the hat with a safety pin...

Voila!

I also made stockings from these sweaters... check back soon to see!

No comments: